Thank you again for partnering us to make this year’s iBELIEVE Summer Workshop incredible! The students are truly the reason for the magic of our workshops, and you will play a vital role in that magic by selecting the students who attend our programming.
The iBELIEVE Summer Leadership Workshop experience is a fantastic opportunity for students to meet and collaborate with their peers from other schools throughout the 13-state Appalachian region. We ask that the students you select are aware of some general expectations and that they are willing to participate fully.
Our workshops are most impactful when everyone contributes positively to the environment and activities. While the more outgoing students may have an easier time adapting to the workshop setting, those who tend to be quiet or even shy will be surprised by how much they are able to learn and grow throughout the week.
We encourage schools to develop their own specific criteria and method for selecting students. The following are our suggestions to help ensure that you are sending the students who will gain the most personally, as well as contribute positively to your school and community when they return:
- Driven: We are looking for those who apply themselves academically. This tells us that they are motivated and interested in personal achievement.
- Courteous: We do expect students to comply with all conduct guidelines and display a cooperative attitude with their peers and staff members. Therefore, those with unfavorable behavior records should not be considered.
- Personable: We ask that all students be willing to interact with the other participants and engage with our planned activities. Please do not feel like you should only invite the more outgoing students, as many of the quieter students might just need an opportunity to learn to find their voice with more confidence. We simply suggest that the design of our program yields the best results when everyone gives their best to each situation.
- Curious: For many students, our program will likely be different from other experiences they have had. It is important that they be open-minded and willing to try new things. Part of their growth will occur through positive risk-taking in a supportive environment.
- Flexible: Our workshop is a 5-day, 4-night residential experience. Students are intentionally assigned a roommate from another school in order to create community. We recommend that you select students (and that parents are supportive) who will be willing to go beyond their immediate comfort zone of familiar classmates.
Through the years, thousands of students have participated in our workshops. We love the time they spend with us and are inspired by what they do when they leave. With your help, 2018 will be our biggest and best summer yet. We look forward to working with your students at a workshop soon!
Once you have received the completed Parent/Student Response Form
Please visit the selection form to provide information on the students you are recommending for our workshops. If you have any questions throughout the process, please contact the appropriate iBELIEVE team member: